Choosing the right food authenticity workflow
As a researcher investigating the validity of product labeling or supply chain integrity, you know that determining the composition of foods can be an enormous challenge. It can be difficult to choose the correct techniques for a test depending on various constraints such as cost, complexity, speed, and overall robustness. Depending on the goal, various analytical techniques can be employed, but which should you use?
We can help lead you in the right direction with key insights that highlight the pros and cons of a variety of analytical solutions for the following areas:
- DNA analysis to detect species fraud that is impossible to do by visual inspection or chemical profiling
- Protein identification where the concentration of contamination is not identified by standard amino acid sequence approach
- Elemental analysis for geographic authenticity where origin information can be obscured for financial gain
- Statistical tools for finding putative small-molecule biomarkers that distinguish between various types of adulterants
- Spectroscopic techniques when a product is too valuable to test by techniques that work through packaging